- Black homicide rate is 196 per million (page 11). While police kill only 6.6 per million blacks. Compared to white homicide rate of 33 per million, while police kill 3 per million whites. Meaning while blacks kill 493% MORE people than whites, they are killed by police only 120% more often.
- A police officer is 18½ times more likely to be killed by a black male than an unarmed black male is to be killed by a police officer.
- Blacks “were about 25% of those killed by cops last year…that share of black victims is less than what the black crime rate would predict” Blacks were responsible for 53% of homicides & 60% of robberies despite only making up 13% of the population
- Meinfeld et al. (2018) finds that black people account for 33% of those killed by non-white police officers compared to only 28% of those killed by white police officers.
Although we find that while minority suspects are disproportionately killed by police, white officers appear to be no more likely to use lethal force against minorities than non-white officers.
- More studies:
- Johnson et al. (2019) analyzed data on those fatally shot by police in the year 2015. As shown in table 2, the race of police involved in fatal shootings is unrelated to the probability that the person being shot is black or Hispanic.
- The CDC says that around 27% of people killed by police are black. A sociologist used data from Killedbypolice.net to argue that number should be 30%. The FBI puts it at 32%. By contrast, Black Americans account for 13% of the total population, 38% violent criminals, and 53% of murders.
- “We found that the race of the officer doesn’t matter when it comes to predicting whether black or white citizens are shot,” Cesario said. “If anything, black citizens are more likely to have been shot by black officers, but this is because black officers are drawn from the same population that they police. So, the more black citizens there are in a community, the more black police officers there are.”
- “Many people ask whether black or white citizens are more likely to be shot and why. We found that violent crime rates are the driving force behind fatal shootings. The vast majority – between 90% and 95% – of the civilians shot by officers were actively attacking police or other citizens when they were shot. Ninety percent also were armed with a weapon when they were shot. The horrific cases of accidental shootings, like mistaking a cell phone for a gun, are rare, Cesario said.
- officer-involved shootings – we find no racial differences in either the raw data or when contextual factors are taken into account.
- Blacks resisted arrest 8 times more than whites. Law enforcement officers cited suspects with resisting arrest 9,633 times in cases where the suspect was not charged with a felony. African Americans accounted for 45 percent of those cited, even though they make up just 6 percent of the city’s population.
- Psychologists Joseph Cesario of Michigan State and David Johnson of the University of Maryland analyzed 917 fatal police shootings of civilians from 2015 to test whether the race of the officer or the civilian predicted fatal police shootings. Neither did. Once “race specific rates of violent crime” are taken into account, the authors found, there are no disparities among those fatally shot by the police.
- Blacks are 13% of the population and commit over 50% of violent crime
- From 2017 to March 31 2020, victims of police shootings by race:
Whites: 1268 = 39%
Blacks: 698 = 21%
Hispanic: 498 = 15%
- Blacks, committing 50% of violent crime comprise just 21% of all people killed by police.
- While whites, who commit 45% of violent crime comprise 39% of all killed by police. – Looks like the police is racist against whites, not blacks. Killing them at twice the rate of blacks.
- WALSH: I Looked Up Every Case Of An Unarmed Black Man Shot By Cops In 2019. Here’s The Truth The Media And BLM Are Hiding.
- Good Policing Saves Black Lives A report by Harvard’s Roland Fryer shows that when the cops pull back, homicides increase.
- The number of unarmed African American males who are shot by police each year is similar to the number of Black males annually struck by lightning (Lemoine, 2017). Yet no one thinks black people should live in fear of lighting. These shootings are very rare and even if they were due to bias it would be absurd for them to receive the amount of attention that they do.
Now what is disproportionate and deserves more outrage is black on white crime.
Tone deaf leftists blaming police for being “racist” against blacks
Reddit 116k upvoted thread: